Reporting to the Group Engineering Manager, the successful Senior Design Engineer candidate will assist the Temporary Works department for Mackinnon Bruce’s National Contractor client in provision of engineering support at all stages of the tendering and construction processes. This is an important hire to strengthen their department due to their strong pipeline of projects, providing engineering and construction services across their varied market sectors. The successful candidate will be joining the contractors Head Office in the North-West and will be part of a thriving and driven engineering environment.
Responsibilities would include but not be limited to:
· Design and detailing of temporary works in accordance with recognised standards and in a variety of structural forms. Involving the production of; Design calculations, Drawings / sketches, Construction sequences and Design Risk Assessments.
· Provision of general engineering support may involve:
o Providing advice, Attendance at meetings – internal and external, Visiting sites, Carrying out inspections, Producing reports, Liaising with Project Teams, Consultants, Clients.
· Producing tender, contract or As Built drawings in AutoCAD format
· Co-ordination of consultants and team and Management of work programme
o Attending and contributing towards internal meetings to monitor own progress against programme and identifying any issues likely to prevent achievement of key dates.
o Discussion of resource allocation in regular (weekly) department meetings with Engineering Manager and other engineering colleagues
o Assisting engineers under your mentorship to meet their necessary deadlines.
· Following company and departmental procedures and ensuring others follow the correct procedures relating to temporary works
· Acting as Delegated Engineer to and mentoring of graduate engineers seconded to Engineering as part of their training towards Chartered status. Including, attendance at internal training events for company’s graduates or external events for students
· Senior Commercial responsibilities including ensuring fees agreed and appropriate client agreements in place.
Competencies and experiences:
· Extensive knowledge of civil and geotechnical engineering principles and necessary Does
· 10 years Engineering experience with a minimum of 5 years specialist Temporary Works.
· Preferably Chartered or working towards Chartered status of ICE
· Knowledge of health and safety legislation, in particular CDM Regulations, as applicable to role
· Construction site experience to provide knowledge and appreciation of buildability and necessary practicalities of design.
· Ability to contribute to a team working under pressure and to work to deadlines.